15 Responsible travel tips for a mindful and low waste travel
What is responsible travel and how can we travel more responsible?
What we can do in times of mass-tourism, over-tourism, plastic pollution, etc.?
We can change a few things in our own travel behavior.
While I still believe in the good things of travel, tourists are sometimes a big problem.
- Beach parties in front of resorts disturb wild life and mostly a lot of trash get’s left behind…
- Cruise ships invade small island and harbor towns without leaving anything than polluted air and water..
- recreational parks are getting harmed because some people leave trash on trails and leave trails to make the best instagram picture
- geo tags and instagram hypes create mass tourist spots that can easily destroy the environment around it…
So let´s see what we can do to enjoy a more responsible travel/camping
- avoid huge all-inclusive resorts
- choose local hotels, apartments
- buy local/seasonal produce from local markets and cook from scratch, avoid big non/local supermarktes and non local products
- eat more plant based (saves heaps of CO2)
- travel during low season
- take a bus/train whenever possible (fly less)
- respect local rules
- choose the less touristic path
- choose sustainable travel/tour companies
- avoid any attractions where animals are involved
- stay on the trail when hiking (leave no trace)
- travel low waste/single use plastic free
- use natural beauty products (reef safe sunscreen, natural soap and shampoo, laundry and dish washing soap)
- refill from tap (whenever possible) or use a filter bottle to avoid plastic bottles
- join clean-ups and volunteer programs