Plastic-free vegan ice cream
You scream and I scream and we all scream for ice cream 😀 This scene from the movie “down by law” from Jim Jarmusch is one of my favorite. And ice cream is one of my favorite sweet treat too.
So wherever I am in a new city, I am always checking out local ice cream stores.
But on these days where you don’t want to go, or if the ice cream store is too far, the quick walk to the store is it….But most of the ice cream from stores, comes in plastic container, in paper container with plastic lining, in plastic wrapper. And not all of the supermarkets and stores have vegan ice cream in stock.
Besides the packaging, the ingredients are mostly not healthy either. A lot of sugar, color, and stuff I don’t even know what it actually is… and yes, I admit, I just love to make my own Ice cream 😉
(Some Links on this site are affiliate links. This means if you buy from one of those links I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you)
Home made ice cream
There are different methods to make your own ice cream.
You can buy an ice cream machine, you can make ice pops or banana ice cream.
I find the easiest is always the recipe where I don’t need any fancy machine. So I always opted for ice pops or ice cream where I only need a blender.
If you don´t have a blender (no space, no money) and don’t want to buy one, maybe you do have or like to get a hand mixer*?
Great to make your own spreads, soup, etc. If you use it to blend frozen fruits, just remember to use some liqud (juice, plant milk, water) and thaw the fruits a little and use smaller portions of frozen fruits. A blender has more power….but a hand mixer does the job too. (I actually travel with a hand mixer, so I can make oat milk, chickpea spread and dip, nicecream, etc… 😀 )
- You basically only need ice pop molds and a mold holder/tray and fruits.
- You can make them only with fruits or mix with your favorite milk.
- You can make them vegan, or if you like to use yoghurt or milk.
- You can make them without white sugar and only with fruits or you can sweeten them with every kind of sugar you like.
- It is all up to you and you know exactly whats in your ice cream.
- Blend your chosen fruits, ingredients in a blender to a smoothie.
- Or if you have a juicer, make some juice and pour into the tray.
- Then pour into the popsicle cups.
- Put into your freezer and wait (4-6 hours).
- Enjoy 😉
(If you don’t have a ice pop tray and you don’t want to buy one but you have an ice cube tray… Pour into the cube tray, and if it is half frozen put some tooth picks into the tray too as the ice pop stick. Miniature ice pops but it works too ;))
I made a little video about how to prepare banana ice cream. If you watch it and like it please leave me a thumbs up 🙂
The recipe comes down below.
Nice cream/banana ice cream
For two portions of nice cream you need:
- 2 frozen bananas (= brown and ripe=more sweetness. So this is a great possibility to prevent food waste, just buy all the ripe single bananas that just might get thrown out at the end of the day (yes this is sadly true, because mostly the half greenish bananas will get bought, so the single ones and the brown ones will get thrown away, while they are still perfectly fine to eat.)
- some liquid (water or your choice of milk) (about 1/2 cup)
- and if you like some flavor (peanut butter, chocolate bits, nuts, other frozen fruits, etc..)
- And you need a good blender!
Just cut the banana into pieces and then freeze in a container of your choice.
- If you want to make the nice cream, take the banana out of the freezer a few minutes before you like to prepare it.
- Put the banana pieces into the blender and pour some liquid (not all of it) into the blender too. Then blend with the pulse function. Be careful if you have an older blender or one with less power. The frozen banana can be a challenge for some blender. So just be a little careful.
- If you can see you need a little more liquid because the consistency is not creamy, pour a little more liquid into the blender.
- Then add the chosen flavor. If you chose chocolate or nuts and want it to be chunky, just stir it with a spoon. If you use peanut butter or frozen fruits blend it all together.
- Pour into your chosen bowl and decorate as you like.
If you are doing a lot of blending at home (frozen stuff, almond milk, etc.) maybe consider buying a really good blender (like a VitaMix**). I can remember I had two cheap ones and they broke too quick while blending harder things. If you only do smoothies and soups a cheap one or a hand mixer* is fine.
What is your favorite ice cream flavor? I love a combination of nuts and caramel and I like a lot of fruitiness too: passion fruit, mango, lemon, etc…