Plastic-free vegan ice cream
You scream and I scream and we all scream for ice cream 😀 This scene from the movie “down by law” from Jim Jarmusch is one of my favorite. And ice cream is one of my favorite sweet treat too.
But most of the ice cream comes in plastic container, in paper container with plastic lining, in plastic wrapper.
So I either opt for an ice cream shop where they sell waffle cones (even better if the shop offers homemade ice cream too). Or I make my own ice cream. Because besides the packaging, the ingredients are mostly not healthy either. A lot of sugar, color, and stuff I don’t even know what it actually is.
(Some Links on this site are affiliate links. This means if you buy from one of those links I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you)
Home made ice cream
There are different methods to make your own ice cream.
You can buy an ice cream machine, you can make ice pops or banana ice cream.
I find the easiest is always the recipe where I don’t need any fancy machine. So I always opted for ice pops or ice cream where I only need a blender.
You might remember the ice pops you made in your childhood? Well I do and I can remember these has been plastic ice pop trays. There are some awesome stainless steel ice pop cups on the market these days.
- You basically only need ice pop molds and a mold holder/tray and fruits.
- You can make them only with fruits or mix with your favorite milk.
- You can make them vegan, or if you like to use yoghurt or milk.
- You can make them without white sugar and only with fruits or you can sweeten them with every kind of sugar you like.
- It is all up to you and you know exactly whats in your ice cream.
- Blend your chosen fruits, ingredients in a blender to a smoothie.
- Or if you have a juicer, make some juice and pour into the tray.
- Then pour into the popsicle cups.
- Put into your freezer and wait (4-6 hours).
- Enjoy 😉
(If you don’t have a ice pop tray and you don’t want to buy one but you have an ice cube tray… Pour into the cube tray, and if it is half frozen put some tooth picks into the tray too as the ice pop stick. Miniature ice pops but it works too ;))
I made a little video about how to prepare banana ice cream. If you watch it and like it please leave me a thumbs up 🙂
The recipe comes down below.
Nice cream/banana ice cream
For two portions of nice cream you need:
- 2 frozen bananas (more ripe=more sweetness)
- some liquid (water or your choice of milk) (about 1/2 cup)
- and if you like some flavor (peanut butter, chocolate bits, nuts, other frozen fruits, etc..)
- And you need a good blender!
Sometimes I freeze the banana directly in the peel. I just cut it open on one side and slice the banana in small pieces, but in the peel. And then I freeze it.
You can also cut the banana into pieces and then freeze in a container of your choice.
- If you want to make the nice cream, take the banana out of the freezer a few minutes before you like to prepare it.
- Put the banana pieces into the blender and pour some liquid (not all of it) into the blender too. Then blend with the pulse function. Be careful if you have an older blender or one with less power. The frozen banana can be a challenge for some blender. So just be a little careful.
- If you can see you need a little more liquid because the consistency is not creamy, pour a little more liquid into the blender.
- Then add the chosen flavor. If you chose chocolate or nuts and want it to be chunky, just stir it with a spoon. If you use peanut butter or frozen fruits blend it all together.
- Pour into your chosen bowl and decorate as you like.
If you are doing a lot of blending at home (frozen stuff, almond milk, etc.) maybe consider buying a really good blender (like a VitaMix**). I can remember I had two cheap ones and they broke too quick while blending harder things. If you only do smoothies and soups a cheap one is fine.
What is your favorite ice cream flavor? I love a combination of nuts and caramel and I like a lot of fruitiness too: passion fruit, mango, lemon, etc…