26 eco friendly mothers day gift ideas
It is Mothers day next week.
Like valentines day, easter, Christmas, birthday it's another day where a lot of people spend a lot of money for a lot of gifts to show some love. Including a lot of waste mostly.
The gift itself might come in a package, theres another gift wrapper around (mostly single used), then maybe a ribbon, a card in an envelope and when you bought it it has most likely been in a plastic wrap too... Flowers mostly grown in a different part of the world... Chocolate in packaging plus plastic wrap...
We can do better :) and we can do it even more personal, maybe self made and with a huge portion of love. Because you can't buy happiness in a store!
Let me show you a few ideas.
Green, healthy, happy ;)
1) A miniature herb garden for the balcony or windowsill.
2) Bath bombs made of natural materials.
3) A nice smelling body oil. Make one yourself. You only need oil (coconut oil, olive oil, canola oil,... and mix with a few drops of her favorite essential oil.)
4) Essential oils for self made cleaning products, body oils or an essential oil diffuser.
5) Natural cosmetics.
6) A self made body scrub.
7) Before you buy flowers in a store, check if you can pick some fresh. Out of your own garden or from a friend, wild flowers, or on a self picking flower farm (we have these self picking spots a lot in Germany, don't know about other countries though. Do you have them around where you live?)
8) Bake her favorite cake! No need for an plastic container packaged cake from the store.
9) A nice smelling natural soap bar/shampoo bar.
10) Buy her favorite chocolate in a Chocolaterie where you can bring your own container or jar.
Eco friendly and useful
11) Some nice reusable shopping bags.
12) Some nice cloth bags/mesh produce bags. Selfmade would be even better :)
13) Reusable Bamboo Cloths for the kitchen.
14) Gift cards from friendly shops/businesses.
15) If your mom is still doing a lot of outdoor stuff maybe a beautiful reusable bottle would be a great idea.
16) A nice cotton towel.
17) Self made cooking Oil with rosemary, garlic, chili, whatever her favorite taste is.
Eco friendly gifts if your mother has a garden or balkony.
18) Spring bulbs. Get some spring bulbs for summer flowers. Mothers day is always in spring, so perfect to plant some bulbs that can be planted in spring.
19) Handcrafted, upcycled bird feeder or insect "hotels".
20) A compost bin. (You can build one yourself or buy one*.)
21) A tree. You could plant a tree together. Choose her favorite. Or a special one with colored leaves. Or a berry bush :)
22) A table or bench made out of recycled materials could be nice too. Or a table with a colorful mosaic made of beach plastics.
Spending some time together is always my favorite gift.
21) Plan a picknick with some healthy food, plastic free snacks, etc.
22) If you mom likes hiking go together. Or maybe a bike tour is the right thing for your mom.
23) A trip to the cinema.
24) Cook a 3 meal dinner for your mom or together with your mom. Maybe try my vegan burger recipe.
25) A handcrafted mothers day card made of recycled materials.
26) A spa day.
Decorations and gift wrapping
If you invite your mom or you want to decorate the table at her home you can make that eco friendly too, same thing with the gift wrapping:
These tips are good for every kind of party. Think reusable, think natural and have a great day with your loved ones.
Feel free to share your favorite mothers day gift in the comments!
Some articles might contain Affiliate Links. These Links are marked with two small stars: **. You can read more about what affiliate links arehere: Affiliate Links. (And why I use Affiliate links : About me)
Hi my name is Jule
I am a nature and ocean lover. A passionate runner and minimalistic traveller. On this blog I share my experiences, thoughts and ideas about the "sustainable lifestyle" and how you can stick to this while traveling.
You like what I share? If yes, feel free to buy me a coffee <3